Buying a new home in McKinney, TX is an exciting prospect. The town has been rated number 5 among the best places to live in the U.S. by CNN Money Magazine. McKinney is surrounded by rolling hills, expansive open spaces, 42 miles of hike and bike trails and 2,000 acres of parkland.
It’s important to take care of your new home to keep your family safe and protect your investment. Following a maintenance schedule will enable you to take care of small issues as they occur, before they become big problems later on.
Here are a few things you can take care of during the fall to keep your new home in McKinney, TX in good shape.
1. Turn on the furnace to see if it’s working properly, and replace the filters.
2. Inspect and repair caulking in sinks, tubs, showers, thresholds, walls, windows and other interior areas as needed.
3. Adjust the heating registers.
4. Check the fireplace to make sure it’s clean, and open the chimney damper before first time use.
5. Perform safety tests on the following items:
- Smoke & carbon monoxide detectors
- Dryer vents
- Pressure gauge in fire extinguisher
- GFCI outlets
Maintaining the outside of your new home in McKinney, TX is also important. Autumn is an excellent time to address the following areas:
1. Clean and remove debris from the gutters; inspect the alignment of gutters, downspouts and splash-blocks to allow water to run off properly, and away from your home.
2. Inspect and repair or replace weather stripping on exterior doors as needed. A well-insulated home will keep heat in and cool out during the winter months.
3. Put up hoses and shut off outside water faucets at the cut-off valve to avoid pipes bursting.
4. Close all foundation vents in the crawl space and place insulation over the opening(s).
5. Inspect and repair caulking of windows, siding, cornice, and other exterior areas as needed to seal gaps and secure tiles.
When looking for a new home in McKinney, TX, visit Shiloh Ranch by Landon Homes. This quiet community offers some of the largest homesites in the area, with homes priced from the $190s. Visit the Landon Homes website today for more information.