Do you plan to decorate your new home in McKinney for the holidays? If so, here are a few suggestions on how you can spruce up your home for the season with some eco-friendly decorations:
1. LED Candles – Nothing creates a warm, holiday ambiance like candles. But if you have kids, pets or asthma, candles just might be too dangerous to light. For a safer, eco-friendly alternative that looks like the real thing, try LED candles. Made of real wax, these lightweight reusable LED candles flicker the same way, only without the flame, smoke or messy wax. Plus, they last up to 1,000 hours using just 2 “D” cell batteries, so you can use them for years to come. That makes them truly sustainable, unlike real candles which quickly burn down and need to be replaced.
2. Homemade Wreaths – It’s true that an evergreen wreath will look great on the front door of your new McKinney home. But those wreaths just get thrown out at the end of the season. This year, recycle old tablecloths, tea towels and other fabric remnants to make a beautiful, eco-friendly wreath that could become your new family heirloom. Click here for directions to make your own wreath.
3. LED Holiday Lights – More energy efficient than incandescent lights, LED holiday lights are now better-looking than ever. You’ll find new warm colors on the market, omni-direction glow and lower prices that will add sparkle to your holiday display without busting your budget.
4. Faux Cedar Centerpieces – Green-minded holiday decorators typically debate whether to use real pine, which smells great but involves injuring trees, or fake for their centerpieces. The trouble with faux pine décor is that it’s usually made of PVC, a toxic and energy intensive plastic known to give off harmful dioxins. Luckily, the eco-conscous host can select a cedar pine centerpiece made from an alternative material: PE or Polyethylene. PE is not associated with the health risks linked to PVC and it’s a much more environmentally friendly and recyclable plastic.
5. Potted Herbal Christmas Tree – Create a unique holiday statement by choosing an edible tree made out of rosemary. These fragrant, living Christmas trees are a great alternative to evergreens, which sacrifice their lives for our holiday pleasure! Plus, an herb tree will double as an herb garden to flavor your holiday meal, and will last well after winter is gone.
If you want to buy a new home in McKinney that you can be proud to live in and entertain your family and friends this holiday season, come out to Shiloh Lakes. This Landon Homes community offers some of the largest homesites the area has to offer, with a variety of floor plans suitable for growing families or empty nesters. Visit our website or call 866-898-3603 to learn why more buyers choose Landon to create the home of their dreams.